6. Quick guide for teachers
6.3. Course templates (Kickstart format)
When you have created a new Moodle course in Sisu, Peppi, or manually and go to your course for the first time as a teacher, first choose how you will start building your course.
The following options are available:
- Choose one of the ready-made default templates to structure your own course.
- Copy one of your old courses as the basis for the new course.
- If you want to start from a completely empty course, go to editing the course settings and change the course format.
When you are creating a course manually to the "Other" category and want to select one of the ready-made templates for your course structure, fill in the Course full name and Course short name fields and save them at the bottom of the page. Do not change the course format from the menu, but select a template from the page that opens after saving.
Option 1: Ready-made course template
The ready-made templates are
- Default template (Grid), which is specifically designed as the basis for large mass courses offered in contact teaching, but is also suitable for an online course. The template emphasizes visuality.
- Default template (Collapsed topics), which is specifically designed as the basis for large mass courses offered in contact teaching, but is also suitable for an online course. The template is especially suitable for courses
with a lot of content.
- Seminar, which is designed specifically for seminar-type and thesis courses.
- Turnitin for thesis supervisors (the template is bilingual, you will see the texts in English if you use Moodle in English).
Before making selection, you can view the templates using the preview buttons. The selected template cannot be changed later.
Each template is designed to have a clear structure from which information and materials can be easily found. Use the templates as a model or inspiration for creating a course, however you are free to customize them to suit your own course needs.
Once you have selected a template, first read its instructions. You will find a link to instructions in each template.